Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Hurricane Katrina

I know that nobody reads this blog, but since I have a Catagory 5 hurricane heading straight in my direction, I thought I would add my comments on the subject. As many of you probably already know, Katrina is heading straight for New Orleans. When that happens, the levies that normally protects the city from floods (and creates a bathtub effect, due to the fact that N.O. is below sea level) not only could fail, but according to the city's mayor, will fail. This will leave the city up to 15 feet underwater and kill thousands of people still stranded in the city, leaving New Orleans open to a variety of epidemics that haven't been seen in over a hundered years. It would take months to pump out the water out of the city, assuming that they can find pumps big enough. The pumps that the city uses to keep water out currently will most likely be underwater and unusable. However, if the Old River Control System fails, New Orleans will become America's own private Atlantis.

I've been to New Orleans dozens of times and almost every time I've ridden on the same boat. I've been down Bourbon street (wasn't very fun, under 18 at the time) and walked through a cemetary. I'll miss it when it's gone. On the home front, we recently had our phoneline temporarily fixed with a two strand wire that is hanging by trees over our front yard. When that hurricane reaches us, it will most likely knock out our phone lines and with it, my only internet connection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home